What is Impact investment?
Impact investing is a growing field of investment that intentionally creates positive social or environmental impact as well as a financial return, and measures both.
Impact investing has tremendous potential to help address some of our most entrenched societal issues.
It is already delivering positive outcomes in poverty alleviation and sustainable development. It is improving services for an ageing population and transforming outcomes for Indigenous communities.
Countries including Australia face growing gaps between demand for social services and what governments can afford. Governments, businesses and communities are seeking new solutions as well as effective ways to finance and deliver them at scale.
The Impact Investment Fund is a wholesale fund and has been established to connect Investors to responsible investments and deliver better outcomes for society.
*Impact Investing Australia definition
Why impact investing?
Impact investing challenges the long-held views that social and environmental issues should be addressed only by philanthropic donations, and that market investments should focus exclusively on achieving financial returns.
The impact investing market offers diverse and viable opportunities for investors to advance social and environmental solutions through investments that also produce financial returns.
Many types of investors are entering the growing impact investing market. Here are a few common investor motivations:
- Banks, pension funds, financial advisors, and wealth managers can PROVIDE CLIENT INVESTMENT OPPORTUNITIES to both individuals and institutions with an interest in general or specific social and/or environmental causes.
- Institutional and family foundations can LEVERAGE SIGNIFICANTLY GREATER ASSETS to advance their core social and/or environmental goals, while maintaining or growing their overall endowment.
- Government investors and multilateral development finance institutions can PROVIDE PROOF OF FINANCIAL VIABILITY for private-sector investors while targeting specific social and environmental goals.
Branded Trust Assurance System
Impact Investment Fund has developed a partnership with Branded Trust Assurance System (BT) and is currently going through the certification assessment and process.
In collaboration IIF and BT aim to empower businesses to benefit from implementing effective CSR and to connect them with each other so they can improve both their own business and the lives of people globally.
The BT strategy is to provide products and services that support industry leaders, ethical leaders and strategic leaders through the four pillars of effective CSR.
Branded Trust Assurance Systems work with good businesses that want to do better. We help these businesses improve performance through having a comprehensive CSR strategy based on commitments to:
- Ethical dealings with staff and customers
- Fair relationships with supply chain partners
- Green approaches to the use of environmental resources
- Sustainable with their stakeholders
These strategic, social responsibility commitments become effective only when we can see, measure and manage them. At Branded Trust we help businesses to take control of and manage these commitments and provide them with the opportunity to achieve a return on their social investment.
Certification from the Branded Trust Foundation is available for businesses that successfully fulfil their CSR commitments. The certification provides a strategic differentiation for your business helping you stand out from the crowd.
The Ethical Market System provides an opportunity for business to minimise risk in its supply chain, gain access to premium markets and source reliable, ethical suppliers. Its B2B and B2C interfaces provide full search and unique management features to support ethical value capture and enhancement as goods and products move along the supply chain.